Friday, October 26, 2007

Narita Immigration after November 20, 2007

A non-Japanese who has been permanent resident in the country for 24 years, lands at Narita airport and stands in the foreigner line for five hours. At last his turn comes.

Immigration Official: Place your right index finger here.

Permanent Resident: Why?

Immigration Official: Is new rule. If you enter country, you must be fingerprinted.

Permanent Resident: Where do you keep my fingerprint?

Immigration Official: In Central Records Computer.

Permanent Resident: In that case, you have my fingerprint already. I live here. I was fingerprinted when I applied for residency. I've just waited in line for five hours to have my fingerprint taken again?

Immigration Official: It's rule. We fingerprint all foreigners when they enter country. Otherwise you cannot enter country.

Permanent Resident: Why do you need it every time I enter the country? I’m a permanent resident. My fingerprints don’t change. It’s wasting your time and mine.

Immigration Official: Sorry, is rule.

Permanent Resident: What do you think about this rule?

Immigration Official: Sorry. I cannot say. Rule is rule.

Permanent Resident: Can I speak to the managing robot, please?

Immigration Official: Sorry, cannot. Come this way. We must deport you.

Permanent Resident: Why are you deporting me?

Immigration Official: You asked “Why.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2007 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Zen said...

Although I've only seen parts of it, this reminds me of the Terry Gilliam film "Brazil".

 
At October 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like they really going to do it. I am at Narita and saw a notice saying those with reentry visa will be fingerprinted and photographed coming in. If they put the reentrants in with the tourists the immigration lines it could mean Narita becomes 24 hours.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home