Thursday, August 23, 2007

Learning grammar

I want to learn the grammar of film-making.

People sometimes come and ask that.

But I really want to learn.

Good.

And I want to learn from you.

It has been a long time since I taught that.

You don’t forget a lifelong craft.

No, but one tires. I used to work all day and into the night. Now, I need to nap most days.

You are busy?

Not busy. But if we do this, if I teach you, and if you have a film to make, you must have a story to tell.

I have a story.

Is it a story you are bursting to tell? One that irritates like eczema so you must scratch at it constantly?

It is a story of a person. Someone who lived a useful life.

That is a good start.

He had many sides.

So, we are talking about a person. And it seems he is no longer with us. You want to create an obituary, a mausoleum, a remembrance. Beyond existing, what did he do? What did he leave behind?

He was an artist.
,,,

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 23, 2007 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Zen said...

By this I'm reminded of what pianist M.Hamelin said. It was something to the effect that performers have virtually a responsibility to bring to the public's notice obscure works or works by lesser known or forgotten composers. I like that. I suppose film is another way to do it, albeit indirect.

 
At August 24, 2007 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Barry Natusch said...

I think we all have a responsibility to say in our own way what is good about works we applaud. Even if I never knew Rachmaninov, I have to say I admire his spirit when brought to life half a world and half a century away. Prost!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home