Thursday, March 1, 2007

Cut off


“White Rabbit.”
Coniglio bianco.”
“May good luck follow you this month, too.”
“Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket.”
“If you are a poor person. Buy shares if you consider yourself clever and wealthy.”
“You missed a day. There was no blog yesterday.”
“Technical problems. I was finishing up emails before going to the airport and the internet went dead and so did the phones. Couldn’t get mail, dial out on the landline. CUT OFF!”
“Happens just as you are going to the airport? Sounds like Murphy was lurking.”
“Never refer to Murphy in a blog. Like I DID on February 27. It draws you to his attention and next day, he’ll arrange some mischief.”
“What was his mischief?”
“I remembered the neighbor said they had no phone last Friday for six hours. They were installing lines to the new houses down the road. I looked out the window, and sure enough there was a Telecom tent, you know, the kind that men crouch inside of and dig holes in the ground.”
“No warning notice to say they were going to cut the line?”
“The phones go off and on like those in some third world country nowadays. Anyway, I knock at the door of the tent and this big Ethiopian comes out and I say the phone’s out and I can’t work. Well, you know, his face creases with PAIN almost, and he says, ‘So sorry,’about five times, ‘give us ten minutes.’ So polite I feel I should apologize to HIM.”
“So you got back on line with apologies to the third world?”
“Only for a minute to send a couple of urgent messages. The kind that go, ‘This is a message to say that I can’t send a message at the moment.’”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home