Thursday, March 20, 2008

Competing on bad health

Helga is finds it difficult to change the subject when talking to her elderly mother.

...

Helga: I was talking to her just last night, and you know, as usual, from minute 1 to goodbye, it was all about health. The heart, the nausea, the back ache.

Astrid: It’s all old people are conscious of. Have you noticed, it’s all about health and the past. The aches and pains and how things were better before.

Helga: And young people talk about their plans and the future and what they’re going to do, never health.

Astrid: Maybe diet.

Helga: But sometimes think old people talking about health are almost competing. My back pain is a lot worse then your back pain. You think you have a bad knee? That’s nothing! I can’t even get up the steps with out my stick.

Astrid: Well maybe competition runs through conversation of the old and the young, just the topics change. Like young guys. My car is faster then yours. And we women, you know sister asked me yesterday, what have you done to your hair? It was an opener so she could show off her new hairstyle.

...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home