Sunday, September 9, 2007

Designs for a lesser footprint


Attendant: Entry is free but would you fill out the questionnaire?

Curious George: Interesting questions. "Can design change your life?"

Attendant: Can it? Has it?

Curious George: Maybe. Although machines bother me. I keep my TV in a closet and my computer in a desk drawer. Rather than making a statement I think machines should sometimes disappear.

Attendant: Do you think you could live without lights, your laptop, cell phone, your bicycle?

Curious George: Hard. I've evolved into a user of such things.

Attendant: Let me show you a Croatian machine. A portable windmill. Called Wing. A portable generator to run lights, charge cell phone or laptop.

Curious George: Not exactly a design for a fashion statement, but I could live with it if it stayed outside. I like the responsibility of its design concept.

Attendant: This is an exhibition about designs for the spaceship earth. Every time you buy a good you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want to live in.
...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Zen said...

And Bucky Fuller had a thing or two to say about integrity too. "Only integrity is going to count".

 
At September 10, 2007 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Barry Natusch said...

But who lives in his domes? Bump head. Who goes to work in a Dymaxion? Fall over. These were statements, not a lot of scope for sustainable innovation. Or maybe I´m wrong in this. Perhaps his geodesic domes inspired the A-frame house. And the Dymaxion sprouted a handle and became a Sedgway.

 
At September 12, 2007 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Zen said...

I don't know exactly where Bucky stands in the line of Important Contributors To The Development Of Ideas And Technology (ICTTDOIAT?). I have a hunch though that more than a handful of scientists and engineers have been inspired by his work, and have used that inspiration to go on and develop important contributions of their own. This seems to be in line with what he intended too; cf his epitaph "Call me trimtab".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home