Saturday, July 14, 2007

Weather and language

Rain makes my bones ache.

You mean the cold and damp.

All right. Humidity is at 75 percent.

And don’t you mean your nerves, not your bones?

All right again. I concede that too. But I don't just mean the typhoon. Any time it rains the aches and pains kick in. There was an article on the effect of weather on bicycle commuting I was trying to retrieve but you have to subscribe.

I would think the result is obvious. Good weather, lot of bicycles. Bad weather, lot of cars. Some things you hardly need an academic study for.

Maybe I should write something on the effect of weather on language use.

Again, some things you hardly need an academic story for. In good weather people open with “Nice day” or some such. Bad weather triggers a grimace and “Rain makes my bones ache.”

This damp is bad for my nerves, you mean.

You're learning.

...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home