Friday, November 23, 2007

Temple life

Hiroshi is curious why an American would come to Japan to live in a temple.

...

Hiroshi: When did you come?

Mark: After 911. I wasn’t happy with the way America was going so I came here.

Hiorshi: And why did you come to the temple?

Mark: My life didn’t feel right. I thought the routines of the temple, like only having one tatami to sleep on, getting up at four in the morning might help.

Hiroshi: And did it?

Mark: It did.

Hiroshi: In what way?

Mark: I’m more focused now. Not so much like I make goals and achieve them. Something deeper. When I’m doing something I’m doing that and nothing else. If I’m sweeping up leaves, I’m really aware of sweeping up leaves. If I’m cooking rice, I’m observing every step. When I write my daily thoughts, they are clear and simple.

...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home